Monday, May 12, 2008

As I Lay Dying


This is the first book I will read during the Southern Reading Challenge this Summer.  First published in 1930, As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, chronicles the Bundren family as they anticipate the death of a family member, Addie Bundren, and the subsequent emotions, events, and aftermath of her demise.

As a native Mississippian,  I have, for quite some time, known that William Faulkner was a rich Southern writer, but to date have only read a couple of his works: A Rose for Emily and The Bear.  Faulkner's prose is quite unique and can be unwieldy initially, but once one adjusts his genius comes roaring through in page after page.  After I complete my reading of this novel, I will post a detailed synopsis and review.  So far, I am enjoying it tremendously.

No comments: